Tuesday, June 7, 2011

In the Kitchen: Blueberry Oat Bran Muffins

I've finally made friends with a foe. Bran. For me, and likely for many others, it has always conjured up an image of a retirement community, enjoying their daily bowl of bran in an effort to release "blockage". Not very appetizing.

But now, bran is my buddy. My new BFF (don't worry Kale, you're still #1). Largely because of this muffin recipe from the gorgeously Parisian chef, Clotilde, at Chocolate and Zucchini. I made them once and ate the whole batch by myself. In about a week. It was great.


There are many health benefits to including bran into your diet. What's so great about bran? Fiber Fiber Fiber! Why is fiber so good for you? Well, not only does it lower cholesterol levels and slow digestion, it keeps us satiated, which means we eat less. People who eat diets high in fiber are less likely to gain weight as they age. And it also may reduce risk for diabetes, colon cancer and heart disease.

Needless to say, fiber is important. And when you can get high doses of fiber in a sweet treat, I say hell yes!

Note, these muffins are still a pastry, meaning flour, sugar and oil but I did make some substitutions to lessen that load. I used greek yogurt to up the protein factor, whole wheat flour instead of white flour, coconut oil instead of vegetable oil.

That being said, I proceeded to spread salty butter all over the top of one of these puppies when they were warm from the oven. I pick my battles.

Blueberry Oat Bran Muffins
adapted from Chocolate and Zucchini

1 cup oat bran
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 cup raw cane sugar
1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
1 cup greek yogurt
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs at room temperature

Preheat the oven to 360°F and line muffin trays with paper liners.

In a large bowl whisk together the bran, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar, until no lumps remain. Fold in the blueberries gently till combined.

In another bowl whisk together the yogurt, oil, vanilla, and eggs.

Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold gently until flour is fully blended.

Don't overmix!

Pour batter into muffin tray and bake for 12 to 16 minutes.

Spread with salted butter, almond butter or honey.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment